Max Physiotherapy is pleased to offer the services of a Speech Therapist to infants, children and adults, who may have problems with communication (speaking, understanding and using language, and voice and fluency), or feeding and swallowing.
Your NE Calgary Choice for Speech Therapy
Max Physiotherapy is pleased to offer Speech Therapy Services to infants, children and adults, who may have problems with communication (speaking, understanding and using language, and voice and fluency), or feeding and swallowing.
What is Speech Therapy?
Speech therapy is the assessment and treatment of communication problems and speech disorders. It is performed by a speech-language pathologist (SLPs), which is often referred to as a speech therapist.
Some people have trouble coordinating the movements of their oral structures, such as their lips, tongue, and jaw. These difficulties can contribute to challenges pronouncing speech sounds and can affect an individual’s ability to communicate effectively with their words. Speech therapy is the treatment dedicated to helping people say sounds correctly and speak more clearly.
How can Speech Therapy Help?
Speech therapy techniques are used to improve communication. These include articulation therapy, language intervention activities, and others depending on the type of speech or language disorder.
Speech therapy may be needed for speech disorders that develop in childhood or speech impairments in adults caused by an injury or illness, such as stroke or brain injury. Treatment for children often focuses on speech delays, while adults may require assistance working through stutters, accent reduction, and building proficiency in English.
What Do Speech Language Pathologists do?
- Help people:
- speak clearly and smoothly
- understand spoken or written words and sentences
- find the right words or speaking in full sentences
- organize their thoughts to communicate
- gain and maintain a healthy voice for communicating
- who have trouble eating regular foods or swallowing safely those who stutter
- Test for language, speech, voice, resonance, fluency and swallowing disorders
- Create supports in everyday environments so people can communicate successfully
- Counsel clients and families about communication and swallowing disorders
- Problem-solve to develop alternate means of communication for non-verbal clients using technology and creative solutions
- Coach families, caregivers, and others to learn and use strategies to help clients succeed
Our dedicated Team at Max Physiotherapy is here to help with your health and wellness needs.